Car accidents happen when you least expect and can leave you injured, scared, and confused. But what you do immediately after your accident can dramatically affect your personal injury claim.
Each car accident is unique. It is important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to handle the individual facts of your case. An established car accident lawyer can make sure you receive a fair settlement from the insurance company.
If you find yourself in an accident, there are steps you can take to ensure you and your accident attorney are set up for success.
First Steps After a Car Accident
- Stay at the scene of the accident – Do not step out into traffic or move your car away from traffic. Do not leave until it is safe. It’s also important to leave the cars where they are so that an accurate police report can be written up.
- Check drivers and passengers – Before checking the property damage, check to make sure all the parties involved are okay. Call an ambulance right away if you or someone involved is injured.
- Call the police – If there is significant property damage, physical injury, or death, call the police. Request a police report be filed and get the officer’s contact information.
- Exchange information with the other parties involved – You’ll want to get the other driver’s name and phone number. It’s smart to snap a photo of their driver’s license and insurance information as well.
- Take pictures – Make sure to take photos of the property damage on all the vehicles involved and any injuries sustained in the accident. The more pictures the better.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you don’t feel immediate pain, it’s better to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Tending to any injuries right after an accident will make your claim stronger.
- Hire an attorney before you talk to the insurance company – Because insurance companies take recorded statements, they can easily use anything you say against you. Speaking with an attorney first will give you insight on how to best move forward. Whether it’s your insurance company or the guilty party’s, they will be looking to devalue your claim to ensure they pay out as little as possible.
Let an experienced accident attorney handle the details of your claim while you recover. Even if you can’t gather all the evidence at the scene of the accident because of severe injuries, you can trust that the right attorney will fight for you regardless. An experienced attorney will know how to negotiate with insurance adjusters for you.
At Sweet James, our attorneys work with the insurance company so you don’t have to. We keep your best interests in mind and do everything we can to ensure you’re taken care of. Call (800) 500-5200 for a complimentary strategy session. We take calls any time of the day, every day of the week.