Often victims of assault do not realize that they have a claim. These cases are normally investigated by police, and when a district attorney does not file a claim, the victims think they have run out of options when in fact they may have a civil case.
Our accident attorneys at Sweet James can advise you of your options and help you determine whether or not you have a case. We aggressively defend your rights and vigorously pursue any rightful claims for damages, medical expenses, and compensation for pain and suffering you have endured. We will thoroughly investigate the scene of the incident and delve into any other evidence that played a role in the assault. Our team will also carefully review any actions taken by other parties, including the district attorney’s office, police department, and other investigators.
WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER EXPERIENCING AN ASSAULT?
If you have been injured in a violent assault, your primary focus should be your health.
- Seek immediate medical attention Even if you believe your injuries to be minor. Serious injuries can be initially masked after a traumatic event. An evaluation by a medical professional can give you and your family peace of mind and allow you to continue on to your recovery.
- Contact the police immediately – The reporting officers should write up a detailed report of the accident. This is in your favor, even if you fear you may be partly responsible for the incident. A police report should include the names of the involved parties, which will be invaluable in pursuing your assault claim.
- Take pictures and video of the scene of the incident – If the circumstances permit, try to take pictures or video of the scene.
- Write down contact information from any available witnesses – Having witnesses can help improve the validity of your claim and build a stronger case. We have seen the remarkable difference a credible witness testimony can make a claim.
- Contact a lawyer – Immediately after, you should consider consulting a strong, reputable, professional attorney that can handle your case.
WHY SHOULD I HIRE A PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY?
Assault cases are varied and can be extremely complicated. Depending on the exact circumstances of the incident that resulted in your injuries, you may have a short statute of limitations. This means that the allotted time frame to file the lawsuit is smaller and pursuit of your claim has to be done quicker than usual. If this deadline is not met, the right to take legal action will be waived. Only an experienced injury lawyer familiar with the ins and outs of assault cases can properly evaluate the details of your case.
Oftentimes, assault personal injury claims require the help of safety analysts to evaluate the proper protocol for the scenario and other expert testimony or reports to be conducted and created. Negligent parties such as individuals, property owners, and police departments will look out for their own self-interests. They may claim a different course of events or erase security footage that would be critical to your case. It doesn’t help matters that witnesses can move or become unavailable for comment.
At Sweet James, we believe that a proper personal injury lawyer goes above and beyond to protect your interests. We will do everything to help you receive the full compensation you deserve.
Call us today for a free and confidential evaluation of your case at (800) 500-5200
There is no obligation, and we charge absolutely nothing unless we win your case.